During your stay, you will enjoy the countryside with beautiful scenic views, nautical activities, rich cultural and heritage visits in our region.
Click on the tab of your choice below to find out more:
VIA RHONA along the Rhône cycle route between Lake Geneva and the Mediterranean Sea
Stage 5 of the ViaRhôna: from Seyssel to Belley via Chanaz in the direction of Lyon.
This stage of the ViaRhôna takes in both banks of the Rhône. Varied landscapes between waterfalls, lakes and vineyards. A rich and authentic heritage with towns and villages such as Belley, Culoz and the unmissable Savoyard village of Chanaz.
Many mountain bike trails are accessible, for families or for the experienced, near the campsite.
Le Grand Colombier a pass which makes you dream…for the bravest, a culminating point at 1534m with its 4 ascent faces and slopes up to 22 %, which make it so famous. Bike addicts, challenge yourself this year!
Le Paradis hiking destination between Le Bugey and La Savoie, sublime viewpoints to be admired from the lookout points of Le Colombier, La Chambotte or La Dent du Chat.
At 1 hour from Lyon, numerous hiking trails allow you to discover our privileged area at your own pace. From the Rhône to the Plateau de Retord, passing by the Grand Colombier, or on the other side of the river at our neighbours, hikes overlooking the magnificent Lac du Bourget.
Come and see us at the reception and we will advise you on sporting or family walks.
The Via ferrata
Access superb panoramas from a safe height; around us in the Bugey or in Savoie with the roc de Cornillon, various sites to entertain you.
Descend the wild Haut-Rhône by canoe kayak, alone or accompanied, in half a day, a day, or in itinerancy over several days, bike and canoe formulas, join the Savières canal and the Lac du Bourget by paddling. Our sports guides have more than one idea to satisfy your desire to escape! >To know more about them
Going down gorges or natural faults dug by rivers, overcoming obstacles that nature has created, jumping, swimming, sliding… The Bugey has one of the most important canyoning sites in France, the Groin canyon, in the communes of Artemare and Vieu-en-Valromey.
Consult our sports guides to go down the canyon in complete safety! > To know more about it
- Pony rides at the Equestrian Farm of Saint Martin de Bavel > More information
- Tree climbing, treetop adventure courses for the whole family, the Tyrolean zip lines of Le Proud in Motz and the Bugey adventure park in Hauteville > More information
- Bicycle Rail from Bugey to Chazey bons > More information
- La Maison du Marais, Les Marais de Lavours, the Educational Farm at Aignoz > More information
- La Lèbe Observatory, a space for exploration of the Earth Sciences and the Universe specialised in astronomy > More information
- Aqualis, Lac du Bourget Interpretation Centre, a museographic space to be discovered in the small port of Aix les Bains, a situation particularly suitable for a visit by bike or on foot! > More information
- Aqualac aquatic centre and Grand Lac beach > More information
- The Walibi Park > More information
TO SEE / TO DO
Museums, caves, waterfalls, viewpoints and sites to discover.
- Izieu Museum
- Museum of the Tools of the Stone Trades in Vongnes,
- Kario Distillery
Caves of La Balme in La Balme-Les-Grottes, The Caves of Cerdon in Cerdon, Caves of Saint Christophe in Saint Christophe la Grotte.
from Bugey with the Glandieu waterfall, the Cerveyrieu waterfall in Artemare, Clairefontaine in Virieu le Grand, the Pain de Sucre in Surjoux in the Valromey, the Dards waterfall in Cheignieu la Balme, sites as magnificent as each other.
Splendid viewpoints: the Croix du Colombier 1525m with the Fenestrez front at 1150m at Culoz au Grand Colombier. Not to be missed, since the creation of three pontoons above the void, the Belvédère du Mont Revard offers a breathtaking 360° view of the Lac du Bourget, the famous Dent du Chat 1390m a magical viewpoint on foot with a rope, a more accessible viewpoint at the bottom with the view of the Mollard Noir from the Relais du Chat
- Hautecombe Abbey on the shores of the Lac du Bourget
- Montverand Castle in Culoz (guided tour possible on reservation)
- The city of the Dukes of Savoy in Chambéry
Savoie and Bugey are full of historical, cultural, architectural, artisanal and gastronomic visits :
- Belley, historical capital of the Bugey, birthplace of Brillat Savarin – only 5min away.
- Aix-les-Bains is a renowned spa town, also known for its Lac du Bourget – only 30min away.
- Chambéry prefecture of Savoy, famous for its traboules, its castle and its pedestrian streets – only 35min away.
- Annecy prefecture of the Haute-Savoie, the old town, its castle and lake are perfect for walks – only 45min away.
- Villages of Chanaz “the little Venice of the Alps”, its craft shops offer a bucolic setting along the Savière canal – 10min away.
- Bugey Villages typical villages with stone houses and their craftsmen – nearby
All information, numbers, address, on www.bugeysud.fr tourist office.
THE TERROIR / OUR LOCAL PRODUCTS
A diversity of products and know-how that make the richness and pride of our region.
The Bugey vineyards cover 500 hectares divided into 3 production islands, the Belley Cerdon and Montagnieu sectors. In the Belley sector, the plots are often located on gently sloping hillsides.
The main grape varieties are Gamay, Pinot Noir, Mondeuse Noire and Poulsard for the reds, then Chardonnay and Altesse for the whites.
The secondary grape varieties are Molette, Jacquère, Mondeuse blanche, Pinot Gris and Aligoté. Production is 30,000 hl per year.
Since 2017, Bugey has been labelled Destination Vignobles & Découvertes.
Discover our local products:
- At La Tour farm (Massignieu de Rives) and its shop Côté Ferme in Belley.
- Marais Farm
- Les Produits Gourmands at Groslée Saint Benoît.
- Guilloteau cheese dairy in Belley
- Yenne fruit (savour the Tomme and the cheese from the Dent du chat)
- Chevrerie de Vions (Before Chanaz)
- Breeding and sale of snails in Vions
- Artisanal shops, brewer, roaster and mill, in Chanaz